Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Equisite Jalapeno

I'm convinced there is something so magical about a spicy hot pepper.  I'm fond of jalapenos for several reasons. One is they are abundant here in Texas.  Two is they are hot without killing anyone.  Three they have a pleasant flavor. The list could go on but I'll spare you.



One of my favorite things to do with these little delightful potentially mouth scalding peppers is to stuff them with cream cheese and wrap in bacon.  OK, fair enough, everything tastes good dressed in bacon.  Well almost I'm not a fan of the bacon flavored chewing gum.


After you wash them you need to pull out the seeds and the white veins.  This will tame down the peppers considerably.  I always put on rubber gloves for this operation. Here is some important advice I know from experience.  Never, I mean NEVER touch your eyes after doing the seeding.  That is bad, very bad but most important is whatever you do DO NOT GO TO THE TOILET!!!!!!!!!  It hurts in your eyes but there are worse things, trust me and don't test me on this.  Just wear the gloves and you'll be fine!


After cleaning them smear cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese into them. You can use the low fat variety too but it doesn't melt quite as well besides when your eating bacon what is the difference.  Kind of like the Double Whopper and large fries accompanied by the diet drink.  Well not exactly.

Speaking of bacon, I usually split mine down the middle and then cut them in half.  For your average size pepper this is sufficient and hey it cuts the calories too, so you don't have to feel as guilty when you don't use the fat free cream cheese!



 
 You don't want them too close or the bacon won't crisp up right.  Bake them for about 45 minutes to an hour at 375 or so. The pepper will be tender and the bacon crispy.


Now go turn on the TV and watch the big game while popping these guys! You will be the most popular host or if you bring them you will be invited over again and again!!!  I'm thinking about making them on Sunday afternoon before the Super Bowl, come on over for a taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment