Friday, January 27, 2012

Dunn's River Inn

Ever heard of restaurant.com? I started messing around with it several months ago. You shop for participating restaurants in your area by zip codes. It will give you a price for a certificate of greater value. For instance you might buy a 20 dollar certificate for 10 dollars. Anyway a couple of months back I thought I should check Rockville Centre where I stay while in NYC. I found one place and it was a place I'd never heard of. Dunn's River Inn, it was a good deal and so I bought the certificate.

The other day I decided it was time to check it out. It's located north of the Long Island Railway on Park. It turns out it is a Caribbean place. The owner is a delightful Jamaican woman. The menu looked good and the choices were tough but an appetizer of shrimp and the ox tail for the main course.

The shrimp are called spicy shrimp. The waitress gave me a warning.

"they are really hot."

OK, well this is New York City, and most of the ethnic places tame it way down. Making the clientele happy with bland. I told her not to worry I like it hot. Well, it was. Not just hot but in a very flavorful way. They were so good I forgot to take a pre-picture. The aftermath looks messy but it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

By now I was pretty excited about this new found place and the main course was still to come. I've only had ox tail one time previously and I was underwhelmed but the menu made this sound good and certainly exotic.

It's arrival made me salivate with the aroma. Wow did it smell good wearing a hearty brown gravy sauce.
It was so delightful. A great choice I'd eat again. If you've never eaten an ox tail give it a whirl. You may be very surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment