Monday, March 12, 2012

Egg Plant (Not a Chicken)

Why is an egg plant called an eggplant? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the female function of producing eggs....or a vegetarian version of a chicken...if we break the word down perhaps it is what the rooster does to fertilize the eggs...Well, for some reason it is called an eggplant.

I received inspiration for this dish from a book written in 1944.   200 Dishes For Men To Cook by Arthur H. Deute, times have changed but great ideas are still good. The book has a cute charm which reminds me of my own blog. He often tells little antidotes with the recipe. Often the recipe is pretty sketchy also.  Again I never said my blog was a recipe blog, there are plenty of those out there.

Having said that let's talk about a great way to prepare an Eggplant, loosely based on a recipe from the book.

Take you eggplant and slice it into quarters or thirds depending on your desired serving size. 

Hollow the slices out creating a little bowls.


Chop up the center meat, some mushrooms, garlic, and onion. Then saute the mixture. 


I added some chopped red pepper and a little celery. 


Season it with salt and pepper to taste then put it back into the eggplant bowls. 


Bake away for 30 or 40 minutes and serve. Pretty darn good and a man or woman can cook this one!

3 comments:

  1. Love eggplant, I'll try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to serve veggies to a family. I never know what to do with an eggplant and this looks good. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete