Monday, April 9, 2012

West African Fish in Accra

Ghana is a great place. The people are wonderful and the food is good too. I was recently asked after returning from there what I ate.  Some people get all wigged out about hygiene etc. but I've never had any issues from eating in Ghana. I've even indulged myself on street food/mystery meat on a stick.  Too bad I don't have any pictures to share...

To get into the right mood for this you first need to watch and listen to this one minute YouTube video, but don't forget to come back to my blog!



This African fish "volunteered" to be the subject of today's blog. This one wasn't caught in the north Atlantic and flash frozen on some huge fishing boat flotilla.  Nope, he was a native! Probably he had feasted on some of those malaria infested mosquitoes before being caught for my pleasure. I'm sure this guy was swimming in one of the local lakes a few hours before he was placed before me. Some guy in a small boat with a net scooped him up to carve out his existence in the village. I became part of the fisherman's economic system as I ended the chain of events leading to the non-existence of the little fish.

Just like these ladies carrying their commerce to the market. They probably don't worry about how their 401K is doing. They probably worry little about Iran getting nukes. Don't suppose they care if it is Santorum or Romney. I bet they care about their children and families. I bet they want a better life for them. I bet they have deep religious beliefs and care how they live their lives. I'm sure they would walk several more miles to help a friend. We are all the same in so many ways and yet some of us have so many more concerns. Something to think about.....

Now my biggest concern is eating this guy. The peppers, tomatoes, and onions are very typical western African. I've had basically the same dish in Senegal too. 

The sauce is Shitah. (Actually I have no idea how to spell it, I looked for it in Google and couldn't find it, had I not eaten it on several occasions I would assume it doesn't exist but perhaps only in some villages in Africa.)   A native concoction of oil, peppers, fish paste, and mysteries. I love it and have never seen it anywhere other than Ghana. Doesn't mean villages elsewhere aren't eating it. It wasn't even on the menu I just asked for it, the waiter looked a little surprised. I was going to bring some home one time and asked if the grocery store carried it. It gave them a big laugh and an answer of "I'll get my Grandmother to make you some."

It is so good!
Very good!
I'm all fat and sassy now. Ive taken in some of Africa internally and now I'm less concerned about life's issues. I'll sleep well all content.

No comments:

Post a Comment